Raymond James’s Colin Seibert Involved in New Customer Arbitration
Colin Seibert (CRD #2710335), based in Houma, Louisiana is involved in a new investor dispute concerning oil and gas investments. Seibert has been licensed with Raymond James since 20013. The information for this article is based on Seibert’s public BrokerCheck report, which was last accessed on February 16, 2023.
2021 Customer Settlement
According to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or FINRA, Colin Seibert was involved in a 2021 customer dispute that settled for $897,500. According to the public disclosure, the investor alleged that Mr. Seibert, “recommended unsuitable investments, primarily in oil and gas securities; several claimants allege FA engaged in reverse churning; and one claimant alleges FA failed to disclose margin use in claimant’s account.”
New Investor Allegations Concerning Colin Seibert
On January 13, 2023, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or FINRA, reported that Mr. Seibert was involved in another dispute over “high-right oil and gas investments.” The investor also alleges that their account was heavily concentrated in energy investments. The complaint is pending, and no further details were provided.
Understanding the Risks of Concentrated Energy Investments
Overconcentrating your portfolio in oil and gas investments can expose you to several risks, including:
- Volatility: The price of oil and gas is highly volatile and subject to fluctuations based on various factors, such as geopolitical tensions, supply and demand, and changes in government policies. Overconcentrating your portfolio in oil and gas investments can expose you to the inherent volatility of this asset class, which can result in significant losses if oil and gas prices experience a downturn.
- Exploration and production risks: There is an inherent risk associated with the exploration and production of oil and gas reserves. Investing in oil and gas investments can increase your exposure to these risks, which can include dry wells, operational failures, and environmental accidents.
- Environmental and regulatory risks: The oil and gas industry is subject to strict environmental regulations, which can result in significant costs and penalties for non-compliance. Investing in energy can increase your exposure to these risks and make it difficult to diversify your risk exposure. That’s why it is important for investors to diversify.
- Market competition: The oil and gas industry is highly competitive, with many large players competing for market share. New technologies and innovations may be required to stay competitive. However, these new technologies may come with their own risks, including development costs and implementation challenges. It is difficult for smaller companies to succeed in the energy industry because of this barrier to entry.
- Geopolitical risks: The oil and gas industry is often impacted by geopolitical events, such as conflicts and sanctions, which can result in disruptions to supply chains and price fluctuations.
Did You Lose Money with Colin Seibert?
If you lost money investing with Raymond James or Colin Seibert, you may be entitled to file an arbitration to recover your losses. Please call 800-767-8040 or complete the form below to speak with an attorney.